Friday, April 3, 2009

My Public Sphere Activity Proposal

Relay For Life is the signature activity of the American Cancer Society, that I am a proud to say I am a member of and love to help out within the activities that it creates. Relay For Life allows everyone in a community to participate in the fight against all types of cancer. Whether it is lung, colon, pancreatic, etc. Relay For Life is an event that strives to battle and kill these diseases. People are encouraged to create teams and camp out at local high schools, parks, or fairgrounds and take turns walking or running around a track or path. A representative from each team is asked to be on the track or course at all times during this event. Relays are an overnight event, held up to 24 hours in length. Teams involved in different sorts of cancer battles can walk and have fun while trying to raise much-needed funds in order to fight cancer and raise the awareness of prevention and treatment.

I have known from experience what it feels like to have a loved one pass away from cancer. This event has given me the chance to make friends with others that are also celebrating the lives of their friends or family, whether they have passed away or are currently fighting back their lives. In order to be able to gain knowledge from others pains and strengths, I have decided to dedicate my time and support into helping these people and it has allowed me to help myself as well.

The audience I am specifically targeting for my organization in order to get more members is college students our community. My fliers and brochure will be created in bright colors in order to capture the attention of the readers. The brochure will be written in a laid back tone that will invite the readers in and get them interested in being involved. The fliers and brochure are going to be written to point out that this organization is fun to be active in as well as something to work toward with great passion and commitment in order to fight back.

I plan on getting support from my audience by introducing all the benefits of being a part of this organization. Not only is this organization close to home, but members part of this organization are allowed to go out of town or to bigger cities to volunteer and meet new people for a great cause. It allows members to contribute to society and its fight and also a feeling of self worth, hope, and accomplishment.

Difficulties that arise within this organization are those that occur when members think it is too much work and stress. When people hear and think about volunteering, they aren't too excited. When a person volunteers, it's likely that they get nothing in return, which means they are less likely to do it. By being a proud supporter and advocate of this organization I am hoping to eliminate these voices and attitudese and convince people that volunteering is well worth it when it comes to saving lives. After all, if the situation was in reverse and it was your life at risk, wouldn't you want help?

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to say that I think the relay for life is a great organization and my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer about a year ago and was given only a few short months to live. Somehow, she has made it through and has been relatively cancer free for 6 months. I know how important this organization is and am proud to have been referenced to your blog.
    • I think your brochures and fliers sound great. I also enjoy the fact that they were created in color. Color is something that brings attention to you, whether it being what you wear or on the papers you are using to get attention. That is always a great idea.
    • I also like that the purpose is to get people to want to volunteer simply to help other people, instead of for their own benefits. Volunteering is something that is hard to commit to because most people feel as if they should be getting something out of it. As we both know, that should not always be the case and by presenting like you are you can show that it isn’t about the physical rewards of volunteering, but the personal emotional awards you gain by helping people you love.
    • I like how you add in the fact that you have known someone taken by cancer. Showing that you aren’t just doing this because it’s a class requirement is a good way to gain the interest of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that your mother has been going strong and the cancer hasn't came back. I hope that this proposal and other important information will reach to my audience and mean something to them. Hopefully, they will see the fliers and brochures and become interested and join Relay For Life, because it is a great cause and helps so many people out.
    Did you have any specific ideas that I could include in my project for my announcement/fliers/brochures? I have some ideas, but I think if I get various opinions from different people that they would help me create a more active/inviting event. Any input?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been involved in relay for life many times previously. We have a team ( Memory Miles for Moe) in memory of my friends grandfather. It is an amazing cause.You could use your personal experiences with cancer in your brochures to real in the audiences attention. You could even add some others experiences...such as Harriet Tubmans from the above comment. Many people know of relay for life so I would say that you do not need to talk about the cause as much as you do. Overall your proposal is great and you put alot of detail into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was definitely thinking about using my personal experiences that involved cancer. I also thought that it would gain the attention of those who are interested. I really do hope that many people know about Relay For Life, because it is such a great organization that helps out those who have battled and those who are still battling.

    ReplyDelete